A labor doula is a professionally trained childbirth assistant who provides continuous emotional, physical and educational support to a family, both during pregnancy and through childbirth. The needs of the expectant mother and her partner are a doula’s number one priority. While working together with a family and their medical team, I offer knowledge and assistance with comfort techniques such as breath, relaxation, productive positioning and movement. I also aid a family in obtaining all the necessary information available on their options during labor and birth. Most importantly, by providing continuous hands-on support, I assist the family in working to achieve the birth experience they truly desire.
Research has shown women supported by a doula in labor have:
• 50% reduction in cesarean rate
• 25% shorter labor
• 60% reduction in epidural requests
• 40% reduction in oxytocin (pitocin) use
• 40% reduction in delivery assisted by forceps
• 50% increase in breastfeeding success during the first 6 weeks
• A doula does not perform any clinical or medical services.
"Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers; strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength"
- Barbara Katz